Monday, May 2, 2011

Encouraging - Opportunities through Loss

Loss provides an opportunity to take inventory of our lives, to reconsider priorities, and to determine new directions. “Few people,” someone once told me, “wish at seventy that they had worked more hours at the office when they were forty. If anything, they wish that they had given more time back then to family, friends, and worthy causes. They wish they had dared to say ‘no’ to their own selfishness.” As Jesus said, “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet forfeit his soul?” Loss invites us to ask basic questions about ourselves. “What do I believe?” “Is there life after death?” Is there a God?” “What kind of person am I?” “Do I really care about other people?” “How have I used my resources – my time, money, and talent?” “Where am I headed with my life?”

Jerry Sittser, A Grace Disguised (Zondervan, Grand Rapids, MI: 2004), 76.