Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Mother's Gift on Father's Day


Ironically a few minutes before my children woke me up for Father’s Day, I received a wonderful gift from my mother. Since her passing, over eighteen months ago, it’s bothered me that I’ve never had a dream about her. I dream fairly consistently, so I expected our paths to cross in the recesses of the night. Just prior to waking this morning, I finally had a dream about my mother. The dream had extreme moments of clarity as well as pockets of ambiguity. My mom and I were at some sort of Bible study/church service. Toward the end of the session, there was a confusing passage that required deeper discussion. The Bible study leader asked the pastor to offer his opinion. Quite conveniently, the pastor happened to be at the piano. Instantaneously he started playing a hymn. I, as always, was belting the lyrics, “The Lord will rescue me, Hallelujah,” all the while my mother was looking at me so contentedly. There was such love and acceptance in her eyes; just a sincere peace that passes all understanding. I didn't understand why she just kept staring instead of singing, but I knew the second I awoke. As much as I loved the boys’ cards and the fun Hummingbird feeder, the most memorable gift I received this year was a sweet, contented look from my mother in my dreams.

No comments: